Development of interceptor-fighters for «Uragan-5» complex began in accordance with the Council of Ministers resolution dated February 26, 1955 and the Ministry of Aviation Industry order dated March 8, 1955. The intercept complex was intended to perform automatic guidance, self-guidance, attack and withdrawal from attack operations. It consisted of following components: ground radar station (detection range of 345 km), digital control computer, active interrogation system (SAZO), command data link (SPK), automatic guidance post and interceptor-fighter equipped with airborne radar (detection range of 25 km), autopilot and computer (SRP). «Uragan-5» system had to intercept enemy supersonic bombers flying at the altitude of 10-25 km with the speed of 1600-2000 km/hour in an area 100-120 km around interceptor take-off airfield if preliminary warning from air defence system was provided.
Initially it was planned to built five following interceptor-fighter versions:
– two aircraft armed with two 30 mm cannon whose firing rate was 1300-1500 shots per minute;
– two aircraft armed with guided rockets;
– one aircraft armed with unguided rockets.
Prototype of the system had to be delivered for the State tests in the I quarter 1958. Aircraft fitted out with above-mentioned armament had to hit the enemy bombers performing attack on head-on crossing course or abaft and to provide bomber kill probability not less than 0.8. But in accordance with the Council of Ministers resolution dated March 28, 1956 and the Ministry of Aviation Industry order dated April 6, 1956, number of interceptor-fighters to be built, their armament configuration as well as date of «Uragan-5» delivery for the State tests were changed. Four following E-150 interceptor-fighter versions had to be built and presented for tests in the III quarter 1958:
-two aircraft armed with K-6 guided rockets;
-one aircraft armed with unguided rockets;
-one aircraft fitted out with a movable cannon mount (two 30 mm cannon whose firing rate was 1300-1500 shots per minute).
The Mikoyan Design bureau was preparing E-150 aircraft project in 1956. Detail design work and aircraft mock-up construction began by late 1956. But, in accordance with new Council of Ministers resolution dated March 7, 1957 and Ministry of Aviation Industry order dated March 21, 1957, the Mikoyan Design bureau was charged with a new task to build and deliver for the State tests in IV quarter 1958 five following E-150 aircraft versions:
– one aircraft armed with guided rockets K-6V;
– two aircraft armed with K-70 guided rockets;
– two aircraft fitted out with two movable 30 mm cannon. (E-151)
In 1957 detail design work was done, drawings and technical documentation were issued. It was planned initially to use TKB-539 cannon with firing rate 2000 shots per minute developed by ZKB-14 which had a small length, fixed central case collector and fixed case and link ejection ports permitting to install cannon conveniently on a movable mount. But according to «Uragan-5» development plan for 1958, two first E-150 aircraft had to be armed by K-8 rockets (for abaft attack) in place of K-6 rockets. Last three aircraft had to be armed with K-9 rockets (for attack on head-on crossing course) in place of cannon mount and K-70 rockets. These replacements delayed completion of interceptor-fighter design work.
Because of task complexity and delayed development of R-15-300 engine and «Uragan-5» components, in accordance with the Council of Ministers resolutions dated April 16 and June 4, 1958 and the Ministry of Aviation Industry orders dated April 24 and June 4, 1958, the construction completion data were reconsidered for following aircraft:
– two aircraft equipped with R-15-300 engine and K-8 rockets (E-150);
– two aircraft equipped with two R-11-F300 engines and K-9 rockets (E-152A);
– one aircraft equipped with R-15-300 engine and K-9 rockets (E-152).
The first E-150 prototype was built by late November 1958. The aircraft and engine ground test programs were carried out during first six months of 1961. «Uragan-5» component tests aboard this prototype were cancelled due to delayed delivery of system components. E-150 aircraft was used later for flight tests and research of R-15M-300 engine modified to improve its high-altitude performance. Uncompleted second E-150 prototype was used as a basis for E-152 construction.
Test pilot A.V.Fedotov made the first flight on July 8, 1960. Tests were interrupted after the fifth flight due to engine accessory box destruction. A new engine was delivered on December 3, 1960 and a permit to fly the aircraft equipped with a new engine was given on January 18, 1961. In 1961 the aircraft made 36 test flights during which Mach 2.6 and static ceiling of 23000 m were attained. Disadvantage of sealing and thermal-insulating materials used in aircraft construction (smoke emission and sealant softening) were revealed in flight on July 25, 1961 when the aircraft has flown for a long time at the high speed, that is, in high temperature conditions. Repair work to introduce more heat-resistant insulation and install low loss ejector was made at the period from August 23 to October 18, 1961. Following this work tests were resumed and continued till January 25, 1962.
|Dimensions & Weight|
|Wing Span, m||8,488|
|Wing Area, m2||34,615|
|Take-off weight, kg||12435|
|Empty weight, kg||8276|
|Internal fuel, l (kg)||4210 (3410)|
|Thrust, kgf (kN)||max||6840|
|in afterburner (static)||9500||10150 (98,07)|
|in afterburner (h 15 км, М=1,8)||7000|
|in afterburner (h 11 км, М=2,4)||19800|
|Max. speed, km/h (M=)||at altitude 19100 m||2890 (2,7)|
|Practical ceiling, m||23250|
|Time to climb, min||15000 m||2,5|
|Landing speed, km/h||275-295|
|Take-off run (with missiles), m||935|
|Landing run, m||with brake parachute||1250|
|without brake parachute||1400|
|Missiles||2 K-7, K-8 (AA-3) or K-9|
References and Credits:
- «Non-standard» MiGs , Aviation 1’1999;
- History and aircraft of Mikoyan design bureau / «Wings of Russia», 1999, CD-ROM /
- «Encyclopedia of armaments» / «Cyril & Mephodiy», 1998 – CD-ROM /
- «Artem Mikoyan» / M.Arlazorov, 1978 /